This school year is already off to a busy start. I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that I am excited to be your child’s teacher this school year, and I look forward to all the learning that will be happening in our classroom!
I graduated from Wichita State University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education. I will graduate in December with my Master of Arts in Education from Baker University. This is my tenth year of teaching. This is my second year at Clark Davidson Elementary. Before joining the staff at CDS, I taught half-day kindergarten at Emelia Earhart Elementary and half-day Title I Reading at the private schools that Goddard services. Before that, I taught second grade in the Wichita Public Schools and kindergarten in Sioux Falls, SD. My husband, Ryan, and I have a son, Ryder, who will turn three at the end of August!
- It is very important that your child be at school on time every day. School starts promptly at 8:45 A.M. for morning kindergarten and 12:55 P.M. for afternoon kindergarten. Attendance is directly linked to student achievement and success in the classroom. Most of the instruction in kindergarten is done orally and is often times difficult to make up. If your child is not going to be at school, it is very important that you call the school (794.4260) to let us know that he/she will not be here. The end of our morning kindergarten is at 11:50 A.M. and afternoon kindergarten is at 4:01 P.M. If you pick up your child from school, please meet him/her outside at the front of the school.
- Our classroom door is always open! I hope that you will feel free to stop by anytime and see the classroom. If you do want to visit during the school day, please let me know that you are coming and be sure to check in at the office. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
- If your child normally rides the bus and you are planning to pick him/her up from school, please send a note in your child’s green traveling folder to communicate this information. My job is to make sure every student is safe and your communication on this matter helps me to do so. If your child’s transportation arrangements suddenly change during the school day, the best way to notify me is to call the school office. The office will relay that information to me.
Folders and Homework…
- A green traveling folder will be sent home each day. Please look at the papers and take out the papers that are to stay at home. Look over and sign the papers that need to be returned to school as necessary. This is a great way to communicate with me if you ever need to send me a note. Return the folder with your child to school every day.
- A homework calendar will be sent home at the beginning of each month in your child’s green traveling folder. Your child has all month to complete the activities and return to school at the end of the month. Please keep the calendar in your child’s green traveling folder for safe keeping.
- The kindergarten classes will participate in a program called Read-To-Me. This is a program which encourages parents to read to and with their child. More information will be sent home at a later date.
- If you would like to bring treats for your child’s birthday, please contact me ahead of time. You may come in at that time and bring the treats or you may send the treats to school with your child. If your child’s birthday falls on a day we are not in school, you may bring treats on another day. If your child has a summer birthday and would like to celebrate at school, we can schedule a day towards the end of the school year to celebrate your child’s birthday.
Star of the Week and Parent Readers…
- Your child will be chosen to be the Star of the Week for one week during the school year. I watch for outstanding behavior each week and choose a deserving student. Throughout that week, your child will bring a few things to share with the class so that we may get to know him/her better. I will send home a poster board the Friday before for your child to decorate. More information will be sent home at that time.
- This year I would like to have parents come in at least one time throughout the year to read to the class. To make scheduling easier, I would like to invite you to come read to the class the same week that your child is chosen to be the Star of the Week. If for some reason that week does not work, I will work with you to find a time that works for you. More information will be sent home when it is your child’s week to be the Star of the Week.
- I have a classroom website that I will update to keep you informed of what we are learning and doing at school, along with any important reminders and information. Please visit http://clarkdavidson.goddardusd.com. Click on “Faculty & Staff” and then “Teachers and Student Services”. Scroll down and click on “View Website” to the right of my name.
- Our classroom schedule for specials is as follows:
- AM: Tuesday, Thursday, and every Friday combined with P.E.
- PM: Monday, Wednesday, and every Friday combined with P.E.
- P.E.: Please send a pair of shoes to keep at school.
- AM: Monday, Wednesday, and every Friday combined with music
- PM: Tuesday, Thursday, and every Friday combined with music
- Library: Thursday: Please have your child bring his/her library book to school each Thursday so that he/she is able to check out a new book.
- Tech Time: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
- Rule #1: Raise your hand for permission to speak.
- Rule #2: Listen when your teacher is talking.
- Rule #3: Follow directions quickly.
- Rule #4: Respect others, respect yourself, respect your school.
- Please encourage your child to follow these rules each and every day. I know that your child will be very successful in following these rules.
- For the first few weeks of school, I am asking for donations for snack. Beginning in September, I will make a snack calendar where each student will have a day to bring snack to share with the class a few times a month. Please avoid sending snacks with peanuts and/or tree nuts due to allergies in the classroom.
- Due to the large class size and the age of the kindergarten students, please do not send a water bottle to school with your child. Your child will be able to get drinks from the water fountain that is located right outside the classroom door throughout the day.
I would like to thank you in advance for your support of a wonderful kindergarten year for your child. I am here to help your child succeed in any way I can. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
School Phone: 794.4260